Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Today!

Charlotte was all aflutter yesterday with the news of impending snow throughout the night. My office was one of those threatening not to open if snow stuck by this morning (oh darn). But poor Paul and company had no such luck.
Paul and I woke up several times last night due to snoring, restlessness, snow anticipation, bathroom breaks and cold feet. I think either one or the other of us was up every hour for something. Each time I got up I checked out the window to see how much snow was on the ground and it did begin to pile up an inch or so as the wee hours of the night began to fade. This meant not going out to do field work at the crack of dawn because we all decided to wait till mid-morning for some of the roads to loosen up. In the end, the crew couldn't make it down from Greensboro and with my office shut down, I could either work from home or take the day off (I chose the latter as I will be making up the hours later this week).
I watched Paul leave the driveway, very nervous. Thankfully he made it there and back, but he did have a scare from some ice on the country roads around our house. After he left, I ran outside to take some pictures.
Our house

Our street


Backyard neighbors' houses

The part of our backyard that is the North/South Carolina border. The trees in the distance are in North Carolina!

This is not a lot of snow compared to what other places in the country are experiencing but it seems to cause a lot of upheaval in Charlotte as the city is not equipped for it. All the schools shut down in our area, and so it made for a nice long holiday for the kids, with the Martin Luther King holiday being yesterday.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Your house is beautiful! And the light dusting of snow makes it so picturesque!