Saturday, July 10, 2010

Positively Pregnant

Wow six months pregnant and time has flown! Over the past month people are no longer avoiding asking if I'm pregnant for fear that I've just gained a bit of weight. I guess it has become more obvious that I'm carrying more than a few burgers. My favorite thing is that when I go to do some shopping, the cashiers ask me vague questions like, "So what are you having?" and I thought it was a weird question and responded with, "oh, just these few things, thanks." I still hadn't really gotten used to the questions yet when another cashier at Lowe's said the usual, "How are you today?" followed by, "Is this your first?" I said, "No, I've been a regular at Lowe's. I come at least once or twice a month." She laughed and said she was referring to my baby, and then she continued down a topic that was not so funny at the time. She asked, "how old are you?" I answered warily, "35." And THEN she said, "You have given me hope. I'm in my late 30s and am hoping to have kids..." Anyway, she must have certainly thought I was past my prime to have asked, and then she obviously thought that having a baby at my age was like climbing Mt. Everest! At the time, I found that conversation depressing since at 35 I don't feel ready to sail off into my sunset years just yet! But then I realized, it's how I feel that counts, right? And I feel great!


Yeah, I know, this picture is a bit odd, but Paul was never home from work when I was thinking of taking a belly picture, and he'd always think about it right about as I was about to drop into bed, so finally I just tried the timer feature on the camera and went for the self-portrait look.

2 comments:

Laura said...

You definitely don't look like you're toting a few extra burgers! That is pregnant if I've ever seen it! I think you're right too on in matters how YOU feel and not how you're "supposed" to look or feel. I guess pregnancy is a good time to make sure that you've established a good self-esteem and that you're ready to make decisions on your own because everyone tries to tell you what to do. Right?

p.s. I re-sent you the blog invite, were you able to get in?

Angeli said...

You look great, Karen! I love your cute responses to the pregnant questions. 35 is STILL YOUNG. I'm sure you'll find the energy you need when your little pea arrives. If anything, the crying will motivate you to move mountains for your little one. You'll be amazed.