Thursday, May 8, 2008

Update on The Sweater and other projects

I've kept The Sweater under wraps lately even though I've made slow but steady progress. Who wants to see pictures of the same sleeve with 1" improvements made each week? So here it is with the sleeves done and the neckline in progress. This has been my favorite knitting project on the large scale because it was such an easy pattern that didn't require sewing pieces together. I don't like knitting in the flat and then trying to make sure it all matches up. This knitting in the round makes so much more sense!

However, I recently bought a book called "A Fine Fleece," which teaches how to plan knitting projects based on handspun yarn characteristics, and how to spin a yarn for a specific design. This book has way cool sweater patterns that are knitted in the flat and sewn together. So I will have to give them a try because the patterns are worthwhile.

On the wheel right now I have some very very fun fiber that Trish from Tanglewood Fiber Creations sent me as a special project. This is yak fiber that I'm to spin with thicker portions (aka "slubs") intermingled with thinner portions. It has been a big challenge to keep the thinner sections from overtwisting and keep enough twist in the thicker sections so they don't come apart. But I love that it's something new for me. This is a big batch but it spins up really quick compared to what I've been working on for Trish in the past.



1 comment:

Tanglewood Fiber Creations said...

WOW it looks great!!!!! I can hardly wait.