Friday, December 5, 2008

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

I have not posted in a long time because I have been working on Christmas projects since Thanksgiving, and have been swamped! My blog got back burnered. But I took some fun food pictures of Thanksgiving to share, and wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving.

We decided to hog wild for this Thanksgiving dinner, to enjoy and give thanks for all we have. Actually, we had a little bit of a miscommunication, because Paul thought we were going to cut down on the veggies this year, and I thought we were doing the "Engish Traditional" as I have dubbed holiday dinners that we do. Paul loves to have the fancy 27 kazillion veggies that they do for a traditional English Christmas dinner, and since they don't have Thanksgiving over there, we usually do the same dinner, more or less, for Thanksgiving and Christmas here.


I had to do a pie, and I found a really good apple pie recipe that has caused Paul to beg for a pie every week.

The the turkey that we injected with cajun marinade. It didn't come out real spicy but kept the turkey incredibly moist.

Paul jumped into action towards the tail end of cooking when he suddenly realized we were doing the 27 kajillion veggies. I became frantic in the last 20 minutes and shouted for help! He was hanging curtain rods, and I hated to stop a good thing in action, but crisis in the kitchen was more pressing.
A few of the veggies: green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with marshmallows (my request), roast parsnips in the front.
We also had cabbage, carrots and rutabaga, roast potatoes and homemade cranberry relish.
Finally ready!
Friday night we had a couple over from my work, and we had a leftover party. We contributed our leftovers and they brought their leftovers and we all put it all together for a huge variety, a fabulous dinner reheated in the oven. Paul and I still had more of our leftovers left and didn't have to cook Saturday or Sunday night and we had thanksgiving leftovers for 2 days of lunches at work!
Things that I am particularly thankful for this year:
1) family, family, family (although we don't see them much, they are always on our minds)
1) we both still have our jobs for the moment
2) we have a home
3) we can afford a comfortable life
4) we are healthy
5) Paul and I have each other
6) I love where we live, although I wish family wasn't so far away.
7) we are beginning to make some good friends and feeling more established here
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving too!

1 comment:

Jeana Marie said...

hi there! (my knee is feeling better, mostly, thank you!)

happy belated thanksgiving to you too! we were able to celebrate the weekend before with some other americans we know who live near-by - we did miss the green bean casserole though - yours looks great. can't get those crunchy onion thingys here!

it looks like you had quite the spread, yummy and beautiful!