Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Baking Tournament

My family and I hope you have had an excellent Christmas with your families and friends! We miss all of you back home in California and England and were sorry we couldn't be in both places.

My family was not super anxious to do loads of sightseeing this trip since Christmas is special enough in itself. So mainly we've been hanging out. It's been all fun and games, starting with the Christmas baking tournament. Competition was fierce but we all maintained our smiles and good manners. Sometimes we teamed up to form "The Storming Sisters" (Heather and I) or the "Gruesome Twosome" (Paul and I) and the "Sassy Seniors" (Mom and Dad), but mostly we maintained our independence with our recipes.

Below, is "Mighty Mom" scoring super points with her classic Southern Boiled Custard drink that we enjoy every year as a tradition.

She also doubled as "Dishwashing Dame" engrossed so much in her work that she would be seen with steamed up glasses from time to time.

Introducing my sister Heather, "Burbee The Baker" making another classic, Nanna's Shortbread, with a bonus twist of whole wheat flour. These were delicious! She scored points for having made the recipe that was polished off first.

Dad, "Gary 'The Pot Stirrer' Man" scored points for his chocolate dipped pretzels as his tasty salty yet sweet snacks were gone before day 3.
I made my cinnamon rolls that I make every year and as my nickname at home is normally Care Bear, I got the title "Kare 'The Bear.' " Here I'm demonstrating the very cool dough hook that comes with the Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.

Paulie Pie, my code name for Paul, went by the fierce name of "Paulie 'The Mincer' Pie" making a classic English dessert for Christmastime: Mince Pies. To score extra points, he added everyone's initials to the top crust and was the first to have an added accessory, vanilla ice cream.


Stay tuned to see the outcome of this event.
My sister went home today :-( and my parents will be here for only another few days. But I have enough fun pictures of this exciting trip to post blogs for days. I'll pick some of the highlights and post them at a later time. For now, we have movies to watch!






No comments: