Saturday, April 12, 2008

Wisteria and Another Cemetery

Well, I've made it through day six in the ten day shift, just over halfway there and I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Plus, yesterday was my birthday and I was treated to a birthday song serenade by the drillers and my fellow co-workers working in the field with me. It was kinda funny because everyone present were the rough and tough sort of gentlemen wearing hardhats and boots, and yet they brought in scones for my celebration pre-work treat rather than doughnuts. Who would have thought?

Driving back to the hotel this afternoon, it was the first day that I wasn't rushing soil samples over to Fed-Ex to ship to the lab, and so I had a leisurely drive. For the first time I saw beautiful purple flowers hanging all over different types of trees. They must have just started blooming, or I've been too busy to notice, but they look like they are hanging from a vine growing over the trees. This must be Wisteria that my mom's friend Charlene was telling me about: a plain vine that doesn't have leaves when it is in bloom, and it has gorgeous hanging purple flowers. Picture below is from Wikipedia.
I wish I had my camera handy to photograph each day along the roads I drive because there are noticeable changes to the blooms and leaf growth each day! What a glorious season spring is out here!
Wisteria (?) on the roadside here in Virginia.
Oh, and another exciting thing some of us saw today at the plant- a very large cat off in the distance, walking next to the railroad tracks, along the treeline. It was about 100 yards away and looked blackish brown with a long tail, and it moved like a cat rather than a dog, but it was the size of a large dog. Hmmm... I looked up black panther on the internet but no scientific evidence has proved the existence of black panthers in North America. Is there such thing as a large black bobcat with a long tail? This mystery is going to bug me, but will not likely be solved as we couldn't get a picture.

By now you know my fascination with all the cemeteries out here, and this is a beautiful one on my drive to the plant. I love how folks out here take the time to keep flowers on the graves.

Good night, and sleep tight!
P.S. Trish, on Monday I sent a batch of spun cashmere/silk back to you via UPS. Should be there soon...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.