Friday, September 14, 2007

Tornado Times

Today I was sent from the office to meet one of our equipment suppliers who was renting us a generator for a field job starting Monday. It seemed a harmless drive and I was happy to get out of the office for a pleasant drive to take in the scenerey on the way to Greensboro. And it was a nice trip there with perfect timing of two hours. However, just as I arrived at the meeting spot I heard over the radio a strange 3 tone sound and then an announcement stating that there was a tornado warning for "south county". Holy cow, I thought. What does one do in a tornado? My only visions were of Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz." So I called my office to find out where South County was and what to do if I see the symptoms of a funnel. Anyway, all that happened was a torrential downpour which I waited out in Home Depot.
On my drive home it rained nearly the whole way and my drive was punctuated with the sadness of many accidents on the side of the freeway. Another tornado announcement came over the radio and said that Davison County (I think that was the name) was on the alert for a tornado, and again I wondered if I was driving through Davison County. No sooner had the thought crossed my mind when I saw a sign saying, "welcome to Davison County." As scared as I was, it was pretty funny really. I kept my eyes upward as much as forward, and to my relief I didn't see any circular movement in the clouds. Whew. Sadly, some places did sustain some damage from a tornado or two in the area today, although I didn't hear how badly.
A good thing about all this rain is that hopefully with a few more good dowses, NC will be out of the drought. I think a lot of folks will be happy to begin planting again, as we were requested to not plant landscaping this fall.

No comments: