Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chicken with Spanish Rice Recipe

Last night I wanted a quick fix for dinner because I had more important things to do: finish the second curtain panel for the bathroom and work on spinning the last 2 balls of wool for Trish with Tanglewood Fiber Creations. The spinning batch was at this same stage 2 weeks ago, as I was trying to finish before the move, but once the move began, all extra projects came to a halt.

I found the dinner recipe on the back of the Calrose rice bag and it was quick, easy and delicious!

I think they called it something Verde Rice, but it was like a spicy Spanish rice dinner by the time I finished with it. Only serves 2.

2 chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 can of Rotel (recipe called for can of green chilies, but I like Rotel's diced chili and tomato mix-- adds more flavor and spice. If you don't like spicy, Rotel makes a mild version)
1 vegetable bouillion cube (recipe calls for chicken, but my veggie cubes don't have MSG and taste just as good in my opinion).
1 1/4 cup of water
1/2 tsp. oregano
3/4 cup or rice
oil (I use grapeseed because it's less fattening than veg. oil and doesn't break down at high temps. like olive oil).
1 can of pinto beans

Dissolve boullion in water and set aside.

Coat a large saucepan, or deep frying pan with a lid, with the oil and heat to high temperature. Add chicken and brown on each side, cooking about 6 minutes. Remove chicken breasts and saute onion and garlic for about 30 seconds in same pan. Add the boullion water, can of rotel, oregano, rice, and add the chicken on top. Cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmering for 20-25 mintues. Serve with pinto beans on the side.

Happily, I had time to finish the curtains while dinner was simmering, and one ball of wool was completed after dinner. Trish, it'll be on your way to Oregon before you know it!

2 comments:

Tanglewood Fiber Creations said...

Curtains moving AND spinning? Wow don't worry about it too much! Looking forward to your package now wondering how you do it all! Trish

Karen said...

Just miss my spinning and so squeeze it in where I can! Plus, I have had this batch for just over a month now and so it's time to get it to you.