Friday, August 8, 2008

Crock Pot Chicken a Success

Wow this Kitchen Aid crock pot is super deluxe. The chicken was set to cook for 10 hours and then the crockpot automatically switched the temperature over to "warm" to keep the dinner hot for when we came home from work and were ready to eat. The vegetables had more texture to them than when I cook in my older crockpot, and nothing got burned.

The chicken recipe required that just before serving you take 1 1/2 cups of lite sour cream and blend with 1/4 cup of flour. Then mix in some juices from the crockpot and then add the whole mix to the crockpot vegetables. While that is thickening in the crockpot, I worked on deboning the chicken which was not too tough since all the meat pretty much fell off the bone. There was a lot less meat wastage cooking the chicken this way since it was so easy to separate the meat from the bones. I pulled everything out onto a cutting board to do this so we didn't get little bones falling off into the vegetables while I was sorting.

This is supposed to be a low fat recipe IF you skin the chicken before cooking. "Heck no" is what I said, since the skin adds a lot of flavor. I removed it after cooking, though.

No comments: