Thursday, August 21, 2008

Crock-pot Pork with Sweet Potatoes

One dinner with a lot of potential that I tried in the crockpot last week, and that we are still having for leftovers in our lunches, is a pork roast with granny smith apples and sweet potatoes. Here's the recipe:

~2 lb pork roast
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 sweet potatoes cut into large chunks
~ 1/2 cup or so of brown sugar
~1/2-1 tsp. of ground cinnamon
sprinkles of ground cloves

Add the meat, apples and potatoes to crockpot, sprinkle with the sugar and spices and set the crockpot onto low and cook for 6~8 hours. Actually, I set mine on before leaving for work at 7:00 and then it goes onto warm mode after the set cooking time. I get home around 6:00 so by the time I get home it's been in there a long time. I think the meat turned out a tad dry (overcooked) , and the apples disintegrated into applesauce (although the juice added a lot of flavor). On a day when I'm home, I will try again and check and see if maybe 6-7 hours cooking time would be more appropriate. Give it a try though! The taste was excellent and only took about 10 minutes to prepare.

No comments: