Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Graveyard Revisited

Mike, being very enthusiastic about the hidden graveyard, sent me some pictures that he took (I didn't have my camera along) during our field work last week. These three were the only graves at this hidden location in the forest, and were of the same family. I think the middle grave has a more recent headstone (concrete lattice) than the era in which the original graves were placed (early 1800's).



I'm not a body-snatcher or anything, so don't get the wrong idea by me taking this spooky facsination, but I think cemeteries are intersting places full of unspoken history. Makes me wonder who the people were and what they saw in their lifetimes, especially these older sites that are scattered everywhere in the south (in comparison to the west coast).






No comments: