Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Our Pseudo-Empty Nest

Paul and I can't claim that we have "Empty Nest Syndrome" because we don't have any little fledglings that have flown the coop. We do have Clementine and Fairy, but they seem to like the nest and won't be going anywhere, and our family that has left the nest aren't our kids! The day after my parents left out house to return home to California, a friend of ours, Clara, from Paul's old work flew in to spend a few days. She left this morning at 4:30 before Paul and I got up for work and now we are back to reality.

This morning I was sorting through the fridge looking for lunch from the remaining leftovers from the past week's festivities and I came across some yogurt that my sister had in our fridge and some leftover snack carrots that my mom had left, and her brand of yogurt. And I thought, "Awww, that's my sister's, and mom's..." It made me feel like we're pretty darn alone all at once. We've had practically non-stop company for two weeks now, and I was getting quite used to having everyone there. Sigh.

So as I sit here and eat my sister's yogurt, I was reflecting on things and thought to my consolation: we can't say we'll be bored because we both have work travels coming up, mortgage decisions to make and paperwork for the house to get started. We sign on the 23rd! Life is exciting and new with each turn we make, and it is always surprising that it can still feel that way after our 32 and 35 years of experience.

No comments: