Sunday, June 22, 2008

Berry Pie Recipe

This is a recipe I love because it is the only fruit pie that I really like. Blueberries and blackberries were on sale this week and so planned on making a pie this weekend. I've blended two recipes together to get this one, one recipe for blueberry pie and one for blackberry pie, but I also sometimes make it with a Trader Joe's frozen fancy berry blend that also has raspberries. In my opinion the frozen blend tastes just as good as fresh berries, but when they are in season I always use fresh.


Berry Pie Recipe


4 cups of mixed berries in any ratio of blueberry, blackberry and raspberries
3/4 to 1 cup of sugar (taste as you add, because depends on how sweet the berries are)
1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
3 Tbs. of tapioca
1/4 tsp. of salt
1 cup of thinly sliced granny smith apples
Unbaked pie crust for a two crust pie (my favorite version below)


In a large bowl, mix the sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and salt. Add the berries and apples, mixing to coat. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour mixture into pie crust. Slice remaining pie crust into strips and weave a lattice on top of pie for decorative appeal, or if you are having a lazy day, just leave the pie crust whole and lay on top of pie, poking holes to vent. Bake for about 50 minutes.


Pie Crust for a two-crust pie


2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup of butter, chilled
3-4 Tbs. of ice water

In your Kitchen Aid mixer or by hand mix the flour and salt. Slice the butter into slices and add to the bowl mixing with the mixer (or by hand using a pastry blender) until the mixtures looks like coarse crumbs. Slowly add the water 1 Tbs. at a time and don't add any more once the mixture starts holding together in clumps the size of marbles and there is no more loose flour at the bottom. Pat into two balls, one about 2/3 larger than the other, and roll out on a floured surface to a thickness about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Line the pie dish with the larger crust and save the other for the top.

2 comments:

Jeana Marie said...

Yum - that pie looks so good! I'm, Jeana - I found your blog just recently under interests - weaving (I think). I lived in Charlotte for about 10 years before I immigrated to Australia. Just thought I'd leave a comment to let you know I was enjoying reading, especially about the spinning. I only tried it a few times years ago at a textiles class at UNCC, but would love to try again one day...
Jeana

Karen said...

Hi Jeana, nice to meet you, and glad you enjoy the blog. Australia-what a fun place to relocate to! My husband is from England and before he got a job in the states we were trying to figure out where we could live in the British commonwealth. He ended up here before I could end up there, and so this is where we are, but we do love it. Spinning is fantastic- you should give it another try. Once you get the hang of it, it is very relaxing.
Karen