Monday, June 23, 2008

Busy Drumcarding

Well this pile of colored fiber looks quite impressive when it's all together on the table! It did take me some time to card each color separately, as I worked on one color at a time while watching movies and talking on the phone. This was over the course of a few weeks, but it seemed to go pretty fast even though when I add up all the movies I watched, it took me many hours.

Now I'm working on getting the right amounts of each color to get the perfect color blend, and each batt will go through the drum carder a few times to get everything evenly blended. I don't particularly like having the "barber pole effect" which is a look you get when you have sections of individual colors. I like subtle color variations in sweaters, especially if it's for a man.

By the way, I'm back in Virginia for a week of work and I decided to bring my drum carder with me this time. As I had mentioned a few months ago, I had surprised the hotel staff with my hat box spinning wheel and I didn't want them to think I'm a complete nut job, so I concealed my drum carder (which looks like an instrument of torture, especially because it's homemade) in a duffel bag and snuck it in. We finished work early today so I have a few hours of blissful drum carding and the Food Network to watch. :-)

1 comment:

Jeana Marie said...

All that fibre looks as yummy as your pie ...