Thursday, June 5, 2008

Black Sheep

While I was away I finished another book called "Black Sheep" by Georgette Heyer. I love Regency era books so this one written very well, was very hard to put down.


Paper Back Reader does a fun description of it: "There is only one cloud on Miss Abigail Wendover's horizon: her beautiful, rich niece, Fanny, has fallen in love with a fortune hunter. Oh, sure, he's got perfect manners and high-pointed collars that suggest a man of fashion without veering into the realm of a tulip of first stare, but his smiles don't reach his eyes, and he, well, he tried to elope with another heiress. Not good ton at all, and certainly not the kind of behavior that recommends him to Abby or her equally protective older brother."


"A chance encounter with Miles Caverleigh, the estranged uncle of Fanny's love, offers Abby a chance to form an alliance with someone who understands that this is not a match that can or should be made. If she can convince Miles that this is a battle worth stirring himself for. After all, he's the Caverleigh black sheep, forced out of England due to an indiscretion (he has some qualities in common with his young nephew), and cannot see why he should be bothered to plot against a mere calfling. Especially one as callow as Stacy Caverleigh, impoverished and not willing to work hard to change that circumstance."

"Miles, of course, cares little about his family, but finds that he's willing to aid Abby in her crusade...
And thus we have our story."

I couldn't have said it better myself

1 comment:

Josette said...

I was not used to the language being used in Heyer's books so I had to read them slowly. But the story in Black Sheep was quite fun and I enjoyed it. :) Here's my review of it.