Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Joys of Humidity

I'm in Charleston, SC right now, and what a neat place! I will have to come back when I'm not working and bring Paul- it is fabulously historic and beautiful to boot. The only downer is that the heat/humidity down here is worse than our area near Charlotte, though, and so we are having a tough time working in it and adjusting. By the late afternoon I feel like one big puddle!

This reminded me of this weekend. One of the first of many humid days to come was Saturday. Paul needed his haircut pretty bad and he was leaving for Seattle on Tuesday for a business trip to give a presentation to a client, so it really needed to be done.

I'm his barber and so set up my station out on the deck to allow for easy cleanup and a pleasing atmosphere, although halfway through the haircut the temperature bumped up a couple notches and the humidity did as well (sweltering). Besides being uncomfortable, it was hampering my handiwork --I was finding it very difficult to do the "edging" as his hair was not falling away but simply sticking to his neck. By the time we were done he looked like Chewbacca with all his head hair stuck to his back! Paul, the eternal Star Wars buff, was proud of my analogy. We got some of the hair off outside, but he basically just had to march straight to the shower.

No comments: