Friday, November 2, 2007

Drum Carder in Pieces

A month or so ago I had promised to find and post the pictures of my drum carder in the making. I am kicking myself now for not taking more pictures during the process, so this is not really very helpful for anyone who is looking for step-by step instructions. A lot of it was trial and error anyway, but if anyone is looking for some pointers of what to do and what not to do, let me know and I'll try and help.
Once I ordered the carding cloth, I made both drums and the drive wheels. This was the hard part because we don't have a lathe or a drill press or a router. Once the drums were made, I built the box around them to house everything.




Fully assembled-- my favorite part is the door gap, brush insulator thingy that I got from Home Depot, and cut down to size. It serves as the brush to pack the fibers tightly onto the large drums. It works like a champ!

No comments: