Thursday, November 8, 2007

Socializing Galore

Whenever I'm on these group projects at work, I feel like I'm back in school working on my bachelor's degree in geology. I think there are a few factors that contribute to make it feel that way:
  1. We are outdoors working for many consecutive hours in a row (sometimes 12+), which is somewhat unusual in normal society
  2. There is a presence of other geologists besides myself
  3. We are working really hard to complete a project
  4. Nothing happens without teamwork
  5. I'm working with people who seem younger than they really are. For example field people seem to be perpetually college-age even if they are 38 and have 3 kids.
  6. Social hour(s) afterwards is mandatory

Two of our fun team members on our hike this evening

I loved going on field projects for school, and I find that these real-world work projects can inspire the same feelings that school did, both good and not so good. They can be stressful at times and I'll long for them to be finished. Yet, satisfaction prevails most of the time and a sense of adventure, excitement of seeing new places, and enjoying the company of unique folks almost always accompanies it.

Tonight is my last night here in Virginia and I'm looking forward to coming home, for I miss Paul, and the birds have been on their own the last three days. But this project was a memorable one for the social life that we had after work. I liked this group of four, which turned into six one night when we were joined by two others working on the same site but different project. We went bowling one night, out to the movies the next, and this evening we even went on a hike. No alpaca farm visit was scheduled in the end, but that's ok. There's always next time....

I'll post more pictures of our hike-- maybe tomorrow. I'm zonked and need to go to bed!

No comments: