Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wishing y'all a wonderful day with friends and family - Happy Thanksgiving!

We are heading to a friend's house from my work at 3:30 or so and are bringing homemade apple pie and maybe butternut squash bisque. I'm debating on whether to bring it or not because I made it by experimentation last night for Paul and I to try for something different. It made enough for an army and is kinda sweet so it would take us years to finish this pot, and with Tracy's event today, maybe it would be fun to bring along. Is that tacky? It is good, just in smaller quantities as an appetizer and not as a main meal. Paul and I figured the issue is that it would be better if we used half the amount of orange zest the recipe called for.
If you want to give it a try, here's the recipe with some of my own modifications. If you come up with some better modifications, please let me know!
Butternut Squash Bisque

1 2-3 pound butternut squash peeled and cubed in 1 inch cubes
3 large carrots chopped
1 medium onion chopped
2 Tbs. of olive oil
2 tsp. of ground ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt or to taste
about 1/4 cup of dried parsely
1/8 cup of orange zest (I would use a lot less than this. the orange is nice but overpowering)
2 quarts of vegetable broth
Saute the squash, carrots and onion in the olive oil until lightly browned. I used two pans because this was a lot of veg. Add in the vegatable broth and orange zest and simmer until vegetables are soft (35-40 min). Puree until creamy and add back to the pot. Add seasoning and adjust to taste.
Hopefully Tracy's crowd likes it. If not, we'll be having leftovers for a long time. Enjoy your dinner whatever you have!

No comments: