Thursday, July 24, 2008

Big Red on a Leash

The other day Paul was leaving for work and he said to Big Red, in passing, "No running away, now, you hear?" And I couldn't stop laughing because I didn't realize until then that it does look like he's on a leash!

Poor Big Red has grown so fast and so tall this spring that his bark hasn't caught up with his height. So everytime a storm comes through and bit of wind starts to blow, his trunk bends over and has a hard time springing back up. We have him tied up so that he doesn't get battered.



I don't know if you recall, but Big Red is our redwood tree we bought from California, and he was just 5-6" tall last year when we moved to North Carolina. Here he is with Mavis the Maple earlier this spring.


And now Mavis is huge too! Both these guys are going to be planted in the yard this fall.

We didn't used to give names to our plants, by the way, but it was getting difficult to expain which plants needed watering, who needed transplanting, etc. without giving them a simple name. Now when I travel, I just tell Paul to make sure Mavis, Big Red and Venus get plenty of water, and Sleeping Beauty and Fiona can do without. Easier for him to remember and it cuts down on spouting out long drawn out technical names that are hard to remember and have no personality. Plus, it's more fun!


2 comments:

Jeana Marie said...

I like that you name your plants! I think I will have to start getting Eowyn to name ours -she would think it was so fun. We may end up with weird names like cacoachincillkia or something though.

Karen said...

I used to name things like that! I named my stuffed animal puppy Seeashaka and my other stuffed animal puppy was Sappyama. My parents said everything I named sounded Japanese.