Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Weathering the Storm

Today was another bike riding adventure to work and back. It was a great day for a ride until 5:00. I was wheeling my bike outside when a passerby, glancing up at the sky, advised me to peddle fast. Sure enough, ominous clouds, complete with lightening and thunder, were moving in the direction I was heading. So I rode as fast as I could to try to beat the storm. It didn't work, but luckily I had a plastic bag in my backpack to wrap up my computer in, so I quickly stopped, covered my computer and put it back in my backpack and rode as fast as I could through the rain. It wasn't the safest thing I had done, but already committed to the task, there was no good place to stop because there were no shops until I got to where my car was parked. I made it pretty quickly actually, but awaited another big problem: once I got to the car, I realized I couldn't put the roof down on the convertible to get the bike home, or I'd end up with worse issues at home with a disgruntled husband upset over a wet car interior.

So, the best solution: wait out the storm in Caribou Coffee. I am happily enjoying the largest hot chocolate possible, doing some knitting on The Sweater II which I so happened to have in my backpack, and decided to take advantage of the free wireless internet here! No better way to have an unexpected delay.

2 comments:

Jeana Marie said...

wow - I'm impressed! i had every intention of riding to work about 4-5 years ago when we lived in Canberra. I used to do the hour long walk both ways when the weather was ok, which was often. We even bought a bike, but then we found out I was pregnant and I didn't feel confident enough to ride any more. I think I need hot chocolate anyway, though! How wet you must have been!

Karen said...

that is a very long walk! I enjoy my bike ride too, but it takes a lot of planning and prep because of the need to change clothes when I get here, wash my hair to get rid of sweat, etc. If I could streamline my routine and get a bike rack for the car, it would be easy enough to do nearly every day.