Monday, July 7, 2008

Summer Storm

There's the saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes..." that seems to fit aptly on the east coast, and I love it! The summer is not my favorite season because I'm not a big fan of the heat, and so I think it's fantastic how much the weather can change here from hour to hour. There are still plenty of hot days, but the days are often punctuated with afternoon thunderstorms, moments of lower humidity with a cooling breeze, or maybe a foggy morning or two.

Yesterday I left for church in the sun, wearing a sunny yellow skirt. During the service it sounded like kids playing on the roof, and then someone announced that there was a thunderstorm going on outside and everyone that has their windows rolled down might want to take a break to roll them up.

I was pretty surprised when I was driving home to find the streets partially flooded and have my way lit up by the lightening. I got home and had to prop up Big Red and Mavis who were sadly leaning to one side from the wind. Paul and I spent the rest of the afternoon with the front porch windows and back door open to listen to the thunder and rain, and we drank hot chocolate. Paul and the birds, who don't mind the thunder, took a nap and I sat by the window spinning.

While enjoying the weather for what it was, I still couldn't help but think how sad it is that so many people's lives are changed by weather disasters at the moment, such as the flooding in Iowa, the fires in California and the drought that we in the south are trying to get over. The unpredictability can be exciting, but can also bring disaster. I guess we just have to appreciate the good days.

No comments: