Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Bike Ride Commute-- Season II

I gave up bike riding to work when we moved out of our apartment 10 minutes from work into a house 40 minutes from work (that's drive time, not bike time). But with the increase in gas prices that nobody is enjoying, I figured I can surely come up with a way to cut down on gas expenses and get exercise at the same time. I also like the idea of taking a bus and using the time to read a good book or knit, but haven't taken the time to figure out the bus routes and logistics. So bike riding it is for now!

I chose yesterday as my start day since I needed the weekend to pump up my tires and do a little fixing up my bike. There's no physical way in the shape I'm in to do the whole trip to work, so I drove through all the narrow country roads and up the long hill to a shopping center 2/3 of the way to work, parked the car and unloaded the bike. Luckily, the car is a convertible, or we wouldn't be able to get the bike in it. The scenic ride along one of the only bike lanes in Charlotte was accomplished with much hard work going up and down hills, and I felt proud that I made it! I was sure the ride was about 6 or 7 miles but was kinda disappointed to find out today when I drove the route that it was only barely 4 miles each way. I was too "worked" to do it again today and will try again tomorrow. A few times a week is probably all I'll do, but it is better than nothing.

When I got to work after the ride, I did a quick sponge cleanup in the restroom, washed my hair in the sink and put my makeup on. I was a bit embarrassed when people came into the restroom. I felt compelled to explain the circumstances that led to me washing my hair in the bathroom sink, but oh well.

Today on my drive in, I noticed for the first time that all the bus stops had people waiting: men and women in suits and briefcases and students and people of all walks of life. People are making a change for the better I think. We need to find ways to switch to alternative fuel/energy sources and the rising gas prices is the thing to spur the changes.

3 comments:

Jeana Marie said...

Hi Karen,

I tried to send this via email - but the email on your profile didn't work ... so here's a really long comment!

Thanks for the comment - I just have a little Olympus point and shoot camera. Peter got it for me for Christmas last year. He said he chose that one because it can do all the same things as the more well known brands but costs less. Very engineer...

I've only recently taken a bigger interest in photography, as a creative outlet it seems to fit into my life with small children more easily than other things. Peter has had a long-term interest in photography and he helps me quite a bit.

Also, a friend recently introduced me to this blog: http://shuttersisters.com/home/

There are some women there who take such incredible photos - and they give lots of advice and tips and so forth.

I take heaps of photos - like 50 - 100 a day (not every day! - but almost). Lots of experimenting with light and so forth. It drives Peter nuts because then I want to sit down with him and have him critique all of them - patient man! Anyway, about 1-3 of those 50 - 100 might really stand out.

I read that you went to church on the weekend in your post on Monday (I think). Whereabouts do you go, if you don't mind me asking? I used to go to Ascension Lutheran downtown (or is it uptown? :) ).

Oh - and the weather here is definitely winter right now. Probably comparable to NW US states but lots less rain. Just cloudy and cold. It doesn't usually freeze where we are because we are on the coast, but inland a bit further would. I know what you mean about it being strange to think of people wearing coats down here - I got a little shock when I skyped my sister on the weekend and she was wearing a tank top. It took me a few seconds and then I was like - oh yeah - its summer there!

Love,
Jeana
pjbjmb@gmail.com

Cold Calling Guru Jeff Stevenson said...

So, gas is now more expensive than it has ever been. The timing seems perfect for a Bicycle to Work! group on the LinkedIn business networking site. Oh! There already is one! Members pledge that they will try to ride their bicycle to work or on an errand at least once a week. Put more money in your pocket and not in your gas tank.

Gas prices are never going down folks. Never. Get used to it.

Human powered and public transportation will become vastly more important in the next 50 years. Not because its the right thing to do. Which it is. Not because it will help global warming. Which it will. Not because it will help you get and stay in shape. Which it will. Not because it will cut back on our dependence on foreign oil. Which it can. Not because of the decreased demand on bio-fuels. Which will help keep more people from starving as more arable land is converted from food crops to bio-fuel crops. (Don't get me started on the bio-fuels scam).

Bikes are going to become more important in the next 50 years for one main reason - ITS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE TO DRIVE EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. So get out there and start riding everywhere all the time. Spread the word. Make it a movement! Bicycle to work one day a week and start saving some dough..

Just go to my profile at http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreylstevenson and you can click on the group to be included. While you are there, don't forget to ask to link to my network of more than 11,000,000 like-minded professionals. I accept all invitations and look forward to meeting you.

Jeff

Karen said...

Jeana, I'll write back on your email... plus I fixed my profile so my updated email account is on there. Thanks for letting me know!

Jeff, Love you comments on biking for so many good reasons! I'll check out your sit.